Chief Master Sgt. Orlando Soto is the 156th Wing Command Chief at Muñiz Air National Guard Base, Carolina, Puerto Rico. Chief Soto is the key enlisted advisor to the wing commander in operational effectiveness and the organization, training, and equipping of enlisted Airmen. He ensures the commander’s directions and policies are carried out. Chief Soto is responsible for the professional development and proper utilization of the wing enlisted force. He works in concert with other enlisted leaders such as group, squadron senior enlisted leaders, squadron career enlisted managers, and first sergeants to oversee the readiness, training, health, morale, welfare, and quality of life of assigned personnel.
Chief Soto enlisted in June 1990, in the Puerto Rico Army National Guard and graduated from technical training school as an administrative specialist. In March 1996, he joined the Puerto Rico Air National Guard as a supply technician. Chief Soto supported OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM while deployed to Balad Air Base, Iraq in 2005. Chief Soto served as first sergeant in the Puerto Rico Air National Guard from 2007 to 2015 at the squadron, group, and wing level. In 2015 he was selected as the wing human resource advisor and developed various mentoring programs that established an organizational environment that enabled PRANG members to attain their full potential in achieving the Air National Guard’s quality and operational performance objectives. In 2017, Chief Soto was selected as the 156th Medical Group superintendent, revamping all medical group programs and guiding the medical group through various inspections with outstanding results. Prior to his current position, the chief master sergeant was the Senior Enlisted Leader and primary advisor to the commander of the 156th Mission Support Group, Muñiz Air National Guard Base, Carolina, Puerto Rico.
1988 Commercial Institute of Puerto Rico Junior College, High School Graduate, San Juan, Puerto Rico
1996 Bachelor in Business Administration, American University, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
1996 Supply Management Apprentice Course, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas
1998 Airmen Leadership School, MacDill AFB, Tampa, Fla.
2000 Supply Management Craftsman, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas
2004 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2007 First Sergeant Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2016 Chief Master Sergeant Executive Course, National Guard Bureau Readiness Center, Md.
2022 Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I & II, by correspondence
2022 DoD Defense Support of Civil Authorities Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1. July 1990 – July 1996, Administrative Specialist, 480th Military Police Company, Puerto Rico Army National Guard
2. July 1996 – January 2003, Supply Management Journeyman, 156th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
3. January 2003 – March 2007, Supply Management Craftsman, 156th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico (December 2004 – November 2005, Supply Management Craftsman, Balad Air Base, Iraq)
4. March 2007 – March 2010, First Sergeant, 156th Security Forces Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
5. March 2010 – January 2012, First Sergeant, 156th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
6. February 2012 – April 2015, First Sergeant, 156th Airlift Wing, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
7. April 2015 – February 2017, Human Resources Advisor, 156th Airlift Wing, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
8. February 2017 – September 2021, Superintendent, 156th Medical Group, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
9. September 2021 – September 2023, Senior Enlisted Leader, 156th Mission Support Group, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
10. October 2023 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 156th Wing, Muñiz ANGB, Puerto Rico
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal
Air and Space Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service with ten oak leaf clusters
Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Senior Airman July 3, 1996
Staff Sergeant July 27, 1998
Technical Sergeant Feb. 4, 2003
Master Sergeant Feb. 2, 2007
Senior Master Sergeant March 15, 2012
Chief Master Sergeant Feb. 13, 2017
(Current as of November 2023)