198th Airlift Squadron The 198th Fighter Squadron (SE) and attached units were federally recognized at a ceremony held at the National Guard Armory on 16 November 1947. The 198th started with 25 P-47 Thunderbolts, two C-47 (DC-3), 34 enlisted members and 18 officers. On 15 November 1952, the 198th Squadron was redesignated 198th Interceptor Squadron. On 10 April 1954, the 198 IS began jet conversion with F-86s arrival. The base was required to base its jets at the San Juan International Airport maintaining the rest of its organization at Isla Grande Airport, still under construction. Four years later, on 10 April 1958, the 198th Fighter Interceptor Squadron converted to F-86Ds. The 198FS performed a fly-by with five F-86s in honor of Duke of Edinburgh, in Barbados in 1965. During 1967, the 198FS performed the exercise Cashew Tee in Panama with five F-86s. Beginning 13 July 1967, and until 1975, the 198th Tactical Fighter Squadron was the only Air National Guard Squadron to fly the tactical fighter version of the F-104 Starfighter. These aircraft were received from Thailand. From 23 to 26 January 1987, the 198th Tactical Fighter Squadron deployed to Homestead Air Force Base, Florida. From 5 to 11 February 1995, the 198th Fighter Squadron was deployed at Tyndall AFB. From 8-22 July 1995, the 198th Fighter Squadron deployed to Nellis AFB for its Red Flag exercise with the F-16s. On 10 February 1998, the Air Force announced conversion of the 156th Fighter Wing from F-16A/B aircraft to C-130 aircraft. On 3 March 1998 Last F-16 departed from the 156th Fighter Wing and on 11 September 1998 took place a ceremony to mark the arrival of the wing's first C-130.